Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Interweave Knits Redesign

I subscribed to IK in Jan., just a little giftee for myself. I started stalking my mailbox at the end of Feb. after I saw reports on line that people had received it and that it had been *gasp* redesigned! OK, that gasp was sarcastic. I work at a magazine that has seen three redesigns in seven years and I don't think we ever heard a peep from our readers. I think we received a few "like the new look" emails, but that was it. (Of course our readers are sooo totally different, it's not really a fair comparison), Still, I was really surprised to read the very, shall we say, passionate, things about the new look at IK. Some hadn't even seen the new look and, yet, were up in arms.

I think it is a really good redesign. It still looks like itself, just better, which is what a mag redesign is all about. You don't want to look so radically different that people don't recognize you.

I know many have emailed and called IK to voice their displeasure, so I decided to write that I liked the new look, for the most part. This is what I sent:

"I know there's been a lot of talk on the Web about your redesign. I figured you probably haven't received as many "pro" comments so here is one (with just a
tiny bit of constructive feedback tossed in!).

I really love the three column treatment for pattern type. This is SO much easier to read than two columns.

And I like that the patterns are all grouped together. It makes finding them later very easy. And they look very nice. I am sure publication design-wise, it is hard to make a pattern layout look "pretty" but you did! Plus, I noticed that the patterns "jump" less, which is a huge plus!

I do miss the full page photo for each project. And I miss the old models. They were all so beautiful and at the same time they seemed so friendly. Some of the new
models are a little blah (but not the cover girl, she's gorgeous!), but perhaps that's better for a knitting magazine. They don't compete with the patterns.

While I like the patterns all together in the second half (or really, third) of the magazine for second, third, and even fourth readings of the issue, it makes the first read less enjoyable. One of the things I dislike about many craft magazines is that halfway through it, you've seen everything (except for perhaps the last page, "last look" article). With the old Interweave Knits, I got to savor every page as I read
it the first time. So, I wonder if there is a way to sprinkle a bit more "new" content throughout the issue instead of front loading it? (Maybe just a little bit
more info about the designers or a slightly longer pattern intro? Perhaps a quote from the designer about the design's inspiration?)

I am still a very happy reader.

Thanks!

Theresa XXX

p.s. Beautiful staff projects in the Spring 2007 issue!"

And I couldn't talk about IK without congratulating Eunny on her new job! I am really looking forward to the Winter 2007 issue.

My knitting news: There is seaming in my future. Maybe I'll have a picture of a sweater on here soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I picked up the Spring IK yesterday at the bookstore and it's lovely! I don't think there's a problem with the design. Of course, I didn't see it before, but I like it. My absolute favourite sweater that I covet and want to knit NOW is the "Dollar and a Half cardigan". It's so pretty! It'sthe one that's asymmetrical in pattern, not shape, so one side has a cable and lace and the other side has horizontal bands of texture. It's pretty. I'm glad I bought the magazine. =D And you're so good to send a positive email among the people who are less pleased! Good show.